Every homeowner should have their gutters cleaned regularly. Remember, clean free flowing gutters all year round is the goal. Gutter cleaning is one of the most important maintenance items you can do on your home. If you didn’t do a regular oil change on your vehicle, you would eventually have some very expensive repairs to make. Keeping your gutters clean is one of the best ways to avoid costly problems down the road.
If you have never hired a professional gutter cleaner, it is vital that you know exactly why it is so important to have clean gutters.
Gutters that are full of debris and clogged:
- Are the number 1 cause of water infiltration in basements.
- Will, if not corrected cause cracking in the foundation over time.
- Will erode landscaping.
- Will encourage the breeding of mosquitoes and attract other insects.
- Will attract birds, squirrels and other animals to the decomposing debris and standing water.
- Will begin to give off a foul odor when there is standing water.
- Will begin to pull away from the building from the weight of the water and debris in the gutter exposing the wood behind the gutters. The wood, when exposed, will begin to rot and weaken.
- Will cause bricks and mortar to erode when the gutters overflow. The bricks will also drastically discolor.
- Will have standing water that will deteriorate the caulking in the joints and corners causing your gutters to leak.
- Will cause some debris to constantly be going down the down-pipes into your underground drainage system. Eventually this can become plugged causing more backups into foundations and basements.
- In the winter are very dangerous. While the gutters go through the freeze and thaw cycle, clogged gutters will not allow the water to drain. The gutters become completely frozen solid and then any additional water drops onto driveways and walkways making them icy and dangerous. Also, this cycle contributes to “ice damming” and icicles which can warp or pull the gutters right off the house from the excessive buildup of ice and water weight on the gutters.
- Will allow seeds from trees to fall in the gutters and will “root and sprout” in any decomposing debris. Voila!! You have a garden growing out of your gutters.
All these problems can be avoided with regular gutter cleanings. This list is not to scare you, but to warn you of what potential hazards you face by not getting the gutters cleaned. If you are a do it yourselfer, just remember to be safe. If you want to be sure a great job is done safely, then hire a professional gutter cleaner. Your pro will have experience and equipment to ensure the job is done correctly.
With this knowledge, you will be able to see the specific problem that you may be having with your gutters and even spot potential problems before they occur.
Gutter cleaning is really one of the most inexpensive ways to safeguard your home against potential damages.